Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Overtraining

I've been fairly religious about keeping with my training plan that I got from NikeRunning.  Despite the various injuries along the way, I've been able to do 97% of the mileage.  I thought by just being able to complete all the runs (and many at a good pace), the plan would get me to where I needed to be.  But, here I am, 32 days away from the marathon and I can tell I've overtrained.  I haven't gotten any faster, and the long runs just get harder and harder.  There's a dull pain in both legs down to the bone and everything hurts just a little.

It's a hard decision, but I've gotta' toss the training plan out the window for a while and rest.  Ditching the 10miler today and instead I'll go for a good swim.  It's a gorgeous day.  Perhaps a few days of rest and I'll be able to do my final 22er this weekend before the trip to Telluride, which will be another week without running.

No comments:

Post a Comment