Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Follow-up- Didn't run LA

Well, here's what happened.  I did do that 22 miler.  It hurt from the 1st step to the last, but it was a good run and I finished strong without hitting the wall.  I was hurting, I knew I overtrained, but felt confident that I'd feel better and be strong 3 weeks from now.  I thought that taking a week off would leave me fresh, so I enjoyed Telluride with the family and 4 solid days of skiing without any real problems.  Then on Monday, March 1st, I took an easy 7 mi jog.  Hip hurt in an insidious way.  Next morning I was in Dr. Rich Gerhauser's office.  X-ray didn't show anything (that's good), but the MRI the following week said "Superior Full-thickness acetabular labral tear with secondayr perilabral cyst left hip"  Dreams of running LA began to fade. 

It felt a bit better after a week (i.e. I could walk without a limp), so I didn't cancel my reservations just yet, but was coming to terms with not running.  Tried jogging every couple days, but I couldn't get more than 10 steps before the sharp pain set in.  The LA Marathon went by this weekend without me in it, and that's pretty sad.  However, I had a terrific time training, learned a lot, and if I ever get over this injury I'll try again.  At this point it's looking like I will need surgery... or a bicycle.  Been shopping for a bike.

I can now run about 100 steps.  Cartlidge tears don't heal, but perhaps I'll just get used to it?

1 comment:

  1. thanks for stopping by. Hang gliding would be awesome to try. I'm going sky diving the first time in two weeks. I'm excited. Sorry you got injured and could run the LA Marathon. It looks like your back running again.

    ReplyDelete